If you find mold in your home, don’t fret. Mold is a common occurrence that you should take seriously, but people can deal with it when they have the right knowledge and equipment. However, because it’s a common issue, many homeowners figure they can just get rid of mold on their own. This may not be a good idea. To show you why, allow us to explain why you should hire a professional for mold removal.
Understanding What Mold Is
While you probably have a broad idea of what mold is and can recognize it when you see it, you can benefit from understanding what mold really is better. This will help you recognize any potential danger. It’ll even help you spot the development of mold quicker so that you can get professionals on the case right away.
Mold is an organism that belongs to the fungus family. Capable of growing inside and outdoors, mold thrives best in dark and damp areas. In your home, these are most commonly the bathroom, attic, or basement. As a fungus, mold reproduces by spreading spores. These spores may drift into your home via your HVAC system, pets, shoes, and clothing. They may even just drift through an open door or window. However, it’s only in the right conditions that these spores take root and thrive. They may grow on windows, leaky pipes, bathtubs, showers, sinks, walls, and ceilings. You may also find mold in food that has been in the open air.
Types of Molds
Something you may not realize about mold is that there are different species. While different types of molds can grow in the same area, people can identify them accurately through testing. Luckily, you won’t have to worry much about identifying certain types of molds, as your response to any kind of mold should be the same. You should keep your distance and get ahold of a professional remediation service. The species of mold most common in homes include the following:
- Penicillium: This type of mold is typically yellow, blue, and green with a fuzzy exterior. It’s often under carpets, in insulation, and on basement surfaces, especially after water damage has occurred.
- Cladosporium: Colored green, black, and brown, this type of mold grows best in cool and warm areas. These include carpets, woods, fabrics, and cooling and heat ducts.
- Aspergillus: Green, white, and gray with darkish spots, the exterior of this mold appears to have a powdery look. Unlike other kinds of mold, Aspergillus doesn’t need much ventilation to grow. Therefore, you can often find it thriving in basements, attics, walls, ceilings, and dried food.
Of these types, Aspergillus is the most dangerous, but there’s one last addition we must include. It’s the most infamous mold, black mold. It belongs to the Stachybotrys family and is the most hazardous form of indoor mold. Luckily, it’s less common than the other types of molds we’ve listed.
A lot of people hesitate to call for professionals because they’re unsure whether something is mold or not. It’s best to be able to spot the early signs of mold so that the remediation process is as quick and painless as possible. Otherwise, the mold can grow and become a more extensive hazard.
At first, mold will most often appear as small spots that will quickly begin to expand if left alone. While it’s not always possible to see these small spots when they’re in dark or hard-to-see locations, the early stage is the ideal time to catch mold growth. You should routinely check areas of your home that could potentially be dark and damp, such as the bathroom or basement. A telltale sign that mold is present in your home is that there’s a consistent musky or earthy smell. Perhaps the most easy-to-identify visual sign is a fuzzy or velvety exterior on the mold, as it looks the most out of place.
If you suspect there’s mold but can’t tell, you can test an area by adding bleach to the suspected area. If there’s mold, the color of the bleach will change in about one to two minutes.
So we’ve talked a lot about identifying mold, but how dangerous is it? The primary hazard is that mold releases more and more spores into the air as it continues to grow. This can quickly contaminate your home’s air quality, triggering respiratory issues, especially for those with allergies. Problems can include throat irritation, sinus congestion, wheezing, coughing, asthma attacks, and more.
Aspergillus mold can also cause an infection called “Aspergillosis.” This disease can vary in severity, depending on what organs it affects. Possible symptoms include chest pain, shortness of breath, fever and chills, headaches, and even coughing up blood.
Many people assume that mold left unchecked will cause structural damage to their homes. Luckily, this is not the case. At worst, it’ll cause staining or unpleasant orders. However, the same conditions that mold thrives in are also ideal for fungi that rot and decay your home significantly. A professional remediation service will remedy the root of the problem so that both the mold in your home and the conditions that allow these fungi to grow are gone.
While many people think they can handle removing mold on their own, it’s too great a hazard without the proper equipment. Not only are you at greater risk of inhaling spores and getting sick, but you also may not be doing much more than removing the surface of the issue. Hiring professionals ensures you address the mold at its origin and that you and your family don’t take unnecessary risks.
Now that you know why you should hire a professional for mold removal, you may want to call a company to help with your mold problem. For mold remediation in Dallas, look no further than Redline Emergency Solutions. Our experts are skilled and can handle any kind of mold issues you may have in your home. We’ll also ensure we get rid of the mold in no time at all. Overall, we hope we’ve shown you the importance of hiring professionals to handle mold-related issues in your home, business, or any other location.